Buffalo Soldiers National Museum
The Buffalo Soldiers National Museum is the only museum in the U.S. dedicated primarily to preserving the legacy and honor of the African-American soldier. It houses the largest repository of African-American military history in the world.
In fall 2012, the museum moved into its new 23,000-square-foot home at the Houston Light Guard Armory in Midtown. The historic armory space is seven-times the museum’s previous space, giving the national museum significantly more room for reenactments, exhibits and lectures. The process of relocating the museum took nearly a decade to realize.
The 10th cavalry, an all African-American Army unit, was nicknamed Buffalo Soldiers by Cheyenne warriors in 1867 out of respect for their fierce fighting ability. Over time, the term Buffalo Soldier was applied to all African-American soldiers.
The museum aims to articulate, collect, display and preserve historical artifacts, documents, videos, prints and other historical memorabilia which detail the history of the brave men and women who overcame extreme adversity while fighting the great American wars. Visitors will see artifacts stretching from the Revolutionary War through both world wars to present day conflicts.
- Hours: Monday-Friday 10am-5pm Saturday 10am-4pm Closed Sunday
- Admission: Children, Students and Seniors: $5 General: $10
- Senior Rates
- Child Rates
- Student Rates
- Gift Shop
- Free Parking Available
- Private Room for Special Events
- ADA Accessible
- Requirement for Chaperone/Student Ratio: 1/10
- Motorcoach Parking
- Advance Notice Required for Groups
- Houston Clean - Minimize Contact Touchpoints
- Houston Clean - Require Face Coverings
- Houston Clean - Require Employee Protective Gear
- Houston Clean - Facilitate Social Distancing
- Houston Clean - Heightened Cleaning Protocols
- Houston Clean - Attendance Level Monitoring
- Houston Clean - Minimize Large Group Programming
- ADA Accessible
- Number of Rooms: 2
- Banquet Capacity: 30
- Reception Capacity: 50
- Facility Buy Out For Special Event